Monday, March 9, 2009

So much for small town life...

Today I had to run by our bank...when I got there I was greeted by a very new site. Within the last week they have installed bullet proof glass in front of all of the teller windows...Seriously? They need that here in small town USA?!? I find this new decor both

a.) frightening - was there a need for such precautions? Am I safe when I go into my bank or should I be fearful for my life?

and

b.) impersonal - now you can only interact with the teller through a small slit at the bottom of a 2-3 inch thick piece of bullet proof glass. Nothing quite says small town southern hospitality and friendliness like a piece of 2 inch thick bullet proof glass that stretches from floor to ceiling!! I'm thinking about seeing what it would cost to put some up in my kitchen....I mean just in case Zack doesn't like his meal one night! :)

How sad to see the small town feeling of "family" and sense of security fading away! I guess that this is a tribute to the time that we live in...but I would rather go back to the times of Andy Griffith and Leave it to Beaver...what happened to our country's moral fiber? How sad that it has come to the point where the management at my bank felt the need to put up bullet proof glass.

1 comment:

E said...

This is VERY sad. :( Did you ask them what prompted this?