Saturday, March 28, 2009

Marriage Enrichment Friday

Last night, Zack and I attended a marriage enrichment evening that was being hosted by a local Christian School.
This was the only picture that I could get of us all night, because Zack was embarrassed...can you imagine that? :) lol. He said that people were going to think that we didn't get out much and that this was some HUGE special occasion! haha! ...maybe it was!

The first 30-45 minutes was spent in fellowship and sharing some finger foods. Then, the couple leading got up and talked about laughter in marriage. They were stating how important this is...and how sometime, you have to make a conscious choice to laugh at a situation.

They then described what healthy laughter in marriage is.

1. Laughter can diffuse tense moments
2. Laughter creates memories
3. Laughter is alluring


And what laughter should not be in marriage

1. Laughter is NOT sarcastic
2. Laughter is NOT offensive
3 Laughter does not belittle or humiliate

They then gave some examples/suggestions of ways to laugh.

1. Laugh at yourself
Try to make a list of your top 10 funniest moments

2. Laugh with others
Go to opening night of a funny movie, or have friends over for a time of fellowship

3. Laugh alone
Try visiting hallmark (for Zack this would be watching "just for laughs" have y'all ever seen that show? I have NEVER heard Zack laugh like he does while watching that show!! :)

4. Laugh until it hurts
Spend time with friends that you can laugh with.

On each of the tables, they had placed pieces of paper with questions on them for us to discuss.

What is one of the most funny or embarrassing things that has happened to us - a time when we really laughed. (Maybe we laughed later!)? When dating? When Married ?

photo from www.versacart.com

During our first year of marriage, Zack and I lived in Mobile, Alabama, and we survived 3 hurricanes; Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina. During the days leading up to hurricane Dennis, Zack and I decided to try to do more to prepare our ground level apartment for the impending onslaught of wind and rain that was forcasted to come our way. So, we went to Home Depot to get some plywood. Of course, Zack and I did not own a truck of any kind or a vehicle that would allow us to transport said wood to our apartment, we were just going to rely on the humanity of others...surely SOMEONE would be willing to help us out during this time of crisis...isn't that what happens? Don't communities come together and help each other out during a crisis?! Apparently not in Mobile, Alabama...after unsuccessfully trying to get a couple people with there big Dooley trucks to take our wood the mere 1/2 mile to our apartment, Zack and I got discouraged and decided to take matters into our own hands....So, we began pushing the VERY awkward lumber cart down the sidewalk toward our apartment all the while laughing our heads off...I can see the headlines now...

"Desperate couple arrested for stealing lumber cart from Home Depot"

I was hiding more than helping probably and I could have died when the cop drove right past us. We were able to get the wood home and then you will be happy to know that we then returned the cart...I'm not sure which trip was more embarrassing...the one to our apartment with cart full of wood or our empty return trip!!!

What was the funniest or most embarrassing part of your wedding day? Honeymoon?

Wedding Day
The most embarrassing part of our wedding for me was when my cousins pulled me aside at the reception and jokingly asked, "Paula, is there something that we should know about?" I looked at them completely bewildered as to what they might be alluding to until they pointed toward the gift table...there in a HUGE unwrapped box was a baby jogger stroller...those darn cross country runners!!! It is tradition to that the runners give each other strange or embarrassing gifts. A door, A large cart, an antique claw foot tub...and we were the lucky recipients of a baby jogger...I guess that it could have been worse...they had wanted to get us a urinal! Seriously?!?! The baby jogger was embarrassing enough...thank goodness our friends and family know Zack and I well enough not to really question our moral standards! Sheesh! :)

Honeymoon
Our honeymoon was kinda a disaster...which thankfully we were able to laugh about then...and still today. Zack had planned out our whole trip, we were going to be going to Jackson Hole and spending time in the Grand Tetons! Yea!!! How fun! Well, at the last minute, some requirements got changed at school and I had to be back 2 days before I was originally supposed to be. I was REALLY frustrated with this, because I had cleared Zack and I's honeymoon trip with the administrator of the program and the clinical coordinator. So, long story short, Zack ended up having to completely change plans. We ended up going to the Poconos...hmmm...yea. So, Zack had scoured the Internet looking for hotels and things to do. He ended up booking a hotel that had gotten a lot of good online reviews and that from the pictures, looked really nice.

Can you say FALSE ADVERTISING?!?!


When we got to our hotel we had 2 choices. 1 we could get upset and allow the state of our room to ruin our honeymoon...or 2 we could laugh....thankfully, we chose the later option. There was a Jacuzzi in our room....romantic right...ummm, yea, right until we saw the mildew growing on the ceiling and felt the dampness of the sheets. There was also a crack under the bathroom door large enough for a small child to crawl under! I could deal with most of it, but I could not deal with the soggy sheet! eeew! So, I made Zack go with me to Wal-mart and we purchased a set of sheets for the bed! .eeeew!!! Seriously?!?!

problem solved!

We forgot one day to take our new dry sheets off of the bed...so, when we returned from our days activities, we returned to soggy sheets yet again...so, we improvised. We placed the sheets into the rental car, turned the heater on full blast, and left them in the car for a few minutes! Yea!!! Dry sheets!
our mobile drier
I think what makes this memory even funnier to me is that on our first anniversary, Zack and I went to Fort Walton Beach. When we got to our hotel, we headed up to our room...when we got to the floor that our room was supposed to be on, we were greeted by a hall way that looked like a construction zone. there was no carpet on the floors and the doors had paper on them to denote room numbers...I turned to Zack and said..."are you sure that we are supposed to be up here?"
Zack nervously stated the affirmative. We reached our room and opened the door...Zack let out a sigh of relief. The room was beautiful. The hotel had suffered a lot of damage from all of the hurricanes that year and they were in the process of remodeling! haha...poor Zack...he thought that he had struck out 2 years in a row!

What is your favorite "funny" movie scene?

ok, I don't know that this is my FAVORITE funny movie scene, but this is one that has recently made me laugh!

She Loves Me


I told Zack that when we have kids that he needs to sing this to me everyday of my pregnancy!! Haha!!

What is the strangest thing that you ever brought home when you were a kid?

A cane toad on a log (Reuters: David Gray)

I think that the strangest thing that I ever brought home as a kid was toads in my pockets...Isn't this little guy cute?! lol!!

Please leave me comments with your favorite funny moment...or an answer to one of these questions! I SO need a laugh today...and I would love to laugh with you!! :)

1 comment:

andreabrosto said...

Too funny! I loved reading all your stories, Paula! You always have the craziest experiences.

The most embarassing thing that happened to us on our honeymoon was when Cory and I were trying to buy tickets to ride the subway in New York. We were so confused about where we wanted to go and how to buy the tickets. So we were at this machine trying to buy some ticket thing, and we were having the hardest time. And there was a line of about 10 New Yorkers behind us and they had no patience for two southerners that had no clue. So finally they ALL just started cussing at us until we gave up and decided to walk where we wanted to go. We were both in shock that we just got cussed out by so many people at once!