Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Dinner and a Movie

Tonight I tried a couple of new recipes here at the puddle! I had to get Zack to help me, because one of the recipes required the use of the grill, and as stated previously, the grill is my nemesis! One day I shall overcome my fear of it, but today was not that day!

Tonight Zack and I had braided pork tenderloins with mango sauce, cheese and parsnip mashed potatoes, and salad. I was not sure what to expect of this meal for a several reasons. 1. I have never tasted a parsnip before and had no idea what it would do to the flavor of the potatoes (they are actually kinda sweet and look like a white carrot.) 2. I wasn't sure that the meat would hold together in it's braided form, or if it would taste good after being marinated in a mango nectar based marinade (it was really quite flavorful and once being on the grill for a little while, the braids held shape really well) 3. It required the use of a grill (the meat actually ended up being really moist and flavorful!) All in all, I think that dinner was a success...at least Zack seemed to like it. It was something a little different than our norm here!

Here is a little better picture of the meat. You can kinda tell that it is braided here.

After dinner, Zack and I went to an outdoor movie that was being shown here in town. We met up with Jody and Skye to watch "New in Town" (which, I have already told you that I am a fan of...thankfully, Skye and Jody shared my opinion) Zack and I spread out our blanket and pillows and Jody and Skye set up there chairs. There were free cokes/water and popcorn or candy, which was an added bonus!

Zack and I's little blanket
Zack and I at the outdoor movie
Skye asked Jody a set of questions out of her question book...
they were all very deep. Like would you rather cut your own hair, go to a chain salon, or an upscale salon...
you know, things along those lines.

Initially, the bugs were not too bad, but they seemed to get worse as the night progressed, thankfully, both Jody and I had brought bug spray...which turned out the be a life saver (Mosquitoes heart me!)

Jody spraying Skye with some bug spray, while Skye threatens the bugs with her upraised lawn chair.

It was fun getting to watch the movie on a big screen out under the stars...and after the movie, Skye, Jody and I had a mini hoedown while the credits rolled. Then, Zack and I threw caution to the wind and jumped into the back of Skye's truck and bummed a ride back to our car.

Zack and I fearing for our lives in the back of big blue!
(haha...it looks like I have a tooth ache...shudder...
I suppose that makes sense..the thought of the dentist would illicit the same terror from me! )


It turned out to be a really fun night! Hopefully they will show more outdoor movies over the summer!

Saying goodbye to Jody and Skye

No comments: