Monday, July 13, 2009

Girl's night in ATL


Last weekend while we were all together for the fourth of July, we had talked about wanting to get together for a girl's night before school started back. So, Sunday afternoon, Rachel (my sister in law), Mama Sandy (my mother in law), and I met up for a girl's night in ATL.We decided to rent a hotel in downtown Atlanta and spend some time hanging out and just getting to be girls!


We went to our hotel to check in and we were getting settled when we realized that the toilet did not flush properly. So, we called the front desk to see if someone would be able to come fix it. Instead, they moved us to a different room, an ungraded suite....we of course, didn't complain! :) After we settled into our new room, we decided to go paint pottery and grab some dinner.

We have all been wanting to go to a paint your own pottery place for a while, and this Sunday night presented a perfect opportunity. We had a great time. Rachel painted a platter. I painted a plate, and Mama Sandy painted a segmented dish. I think that they are all going to be really cute once they get fired. Rachel and I opted for something monogrammed, while Mama Sandy used stamps to embellish her dish. They all had some similarities, but they are all going to have the personal touch of the individual artist.

It started to POUR down rain and to lightning and thunder shortly after we entered the pottery place. The down pour of water caused flash flooding....and water was spilling into the pottery shop underneath the door. At one point, the workers were using brooms and mops to try to force the water back out the door. So, we were VERY thankful that we were inside...and dry!

After we completed our masterpieces, we headed out for dinner. We went to Everybody's Pizza. We all ended up ordering the same thing...city chicken pizza sandwich. It was SOOOO good! None of us could finish our sandwiches...and we hated to throw them away. So, we brought them back to our hotel. We ended up having to throw them out in the end anyway...but we made an effort to save them! :)


Once we got in for the night, we talked and watched TV until time for bed.

This morning, we headed down for the continental breakfast and this is what we found...

YUM!! Zack was so jealous! Whenever Zack and I go anywhere where we have to stay in a hotel, we have to make sure that there is a continental breakfast...and this one was fabulous! We all ate way too much and then headed back to our room to get ready for the day.


We went over to Atlantic Station and went shopping. We also went to "Dialog in the Dark" which is an exhibit which allows you to experience what it is like to be blind. I was a little apprehensive about doing this...as I am pretty much blind as it is, but it was a pleasant surprise. We all REALLY enjoyed it. It was really interesting, and we had a great guide (he was blind). The exhibit takes you through different environments...a park, a grocery store, crossing a street, and ordering in a cafe'. It was all in the safety of a controlled environment. I would recommend going to this exhibit if you get the chance!


After "Dialog in the Dark", we went to grab some lunch. We ended up going to Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro. We decided to share a salad and a pizza so that we would have room for some cheesecake. We each ordered a different cheesecake so that we would have a couple flavors to try. We tried Fudge Brownie, Oreo Cookies and Creme, and Chocolate Praline. They were all AWESOME, but I think that the praline was my favorite.


We stuffed ourselves on cheesecake and then walked around Atlantic Station a little more to do a little more shopping before heading back home.

It was so much fun getting to hang out with Rachel and Mama Sandy for 2 days! Hopefully we will do something like this again sometime soon! :)

2 comments:

E said...

How fun! That is so nice that you are close to your inlaws! :)

Are you coming to the shower on Sunday? I hope so.

If not, we'll get together before I leave..we have to hit up the fabric stores! :)

Unknown said...

What a BLAST! I have the two best daughters-in-law in the world! Looking forward to the next outing. Yellow Daisy Festival????
Love you,
Mama Sandy