Tuesday, July 7, 2009

4th of July Weekend


This year for the fourth of July, Zack and I went to the mountains with Zack's family. We left Friday afternoon and headed up to meet his family. We made it there just in perfect time to meet up with his parents, brother, Aunt, Uncle, and cousins for dinner. We went to a local restaurant that serves really good fried chicken, which is of course what most of us ended up ordering.


After dinner, we all headed to the cabin and ended up playing a game of Cranium Turbo. We split into 3 teams of three. Zack, Matt, and I ended up winning...even though we had gotten off to a rocky start.


Saturday, we slept in and then got up and had a big brunch. Zack was in heaven. He LOVES breakfast food, and we had big delicious breakfasts everyday we were gone. He would get all excited and come over to me and say "oh my goodness, this is going to be good! Do you see all that food? Oh man, this is going to be good!!" ha He is so funny about his food!


Soon after Breakfast, we headed over to the swimming hole for some fun in the FREEZING cold water. There is a waterfall and places to jump into the creek. So, its a lot of fun to swim over there, BUT the creek is spring fed, so it is FREEZING!! I didn't get in this time, but Zack and his brother, cousins and father had a good time.






After we got back from swimming, we headed out for a bike ride. Mama Sandy and I should have known better then to go biking with the boys, but we decided to go. They were tearing through the woods on their bikes, jumping them off of mounds of dirt...boys! So, after a couple of miles of that, Mama Sandy and I decided to head back on our own and let the boys have "boy" time.


By the time we got back to the cabin, Ben and Rachel had gotten there. They ended up coming up a day late because Rachel was at a convention for a few days and she got home on the fourth. So, Ben went and picked her up at the airport and they headed straight up to the mountains to meet us.

We had a big Taco/burrito fiesta meal Saturday night...seems a little strange to eat Mexican inspired cuisine on the same day that you are celebrating the US independence, but it was delicious!


After dinner, we played some games. The guys played "Settlers of Catan" while the girls played "imagine if" Our game lasted until about 11. I don't think the boys were done with theirs until around 1.


Sunday, Zack's grandparents came up and joined us for the day. They got there in time for breakfast. After breakfast, we had a game of wiffle ball. Zack and Ben were team captains and each picked their teams. Zack's dad had them face the field and then we all quietly numbered off. Then, Zack and Ben alternated calling out numbers 1-10. Ben and Rachel ended up being on different teams...not a good thing for any of the couples in our family...we are all pretty competitive and it is never a good thing to pit spouces against each other.



Ben's team was killing us initially...so, something had to be done...and that something was to attempt to interfere in plays that involved Zack's dad whenever possible. It was all in fun...and even though none of our attempts ever actually succeeded in getting him out, it added enjoyment to the game...There also was one other problem...Brody...Brody was a boxer that came to visit us.


He decided that he liked me...so, while I was standing on second base waiting to run to third, Brody walked over to me, licked my leg and promptly and contentedly laid down on my foot...how was a girl supposed to run with a boxer laying happily on her leg and foot? Once he decided that he liked me, I was in trouble. He would come over to me on the field and lay on me or in front of me...he just was loving being around people...we found out that his people were out of town..so, he had found himself some new people and he was happy. But, it sure made it a whole lot harder to play the game. Zack's dad said that he had told Brody to bother me because I had tried to keep him, by bodily force, from running from second to third...I failed miserably. However, our team did end up winning in the end...

After our wiffle ball game, the guys headed out for a bike ride...having learned our lesson, the girls opted for a walk instead. We walked about 2 miles.

Once we got back from walking, it was time to have dinner. We had a BBQ night. It was very good.

I had to leave Sunday night to get home to prepare for the baby shower that we were having on Monday. Zack had a meeting in ATL on Monday and Tuesday, and he was going to ride home with his parents to ATL. So, I packed up our car and headed back home, while Zack and the rest of the family went bowling and then played games. I was sad to have to miss out on more fun family time, but I would NEVER have gotten everything done for Monday night if I hadn't

All in all, we had a really great, fun filled, family filled fourth of July weekend.

No comments: