Tuesday, April 28, 2009

helping out a friend

This morning, shortly after I had gotten up, I received a frantic phone call from my friend Skye...it seems that today she had a crazier day planned even than her day yesterday. This week, at the local Christian School that she teaches at, they are doing mission week. This means that all of the kids at the school do some kind of service oriented project from 1 - 5 everyday. On top of her responsibility to teach and to chaperon a group of kids from the school at their community service opportunity, she also had to set up an art booth at an art show featuring art work from all of the local schools at the forum downtown. And, she only had a few hours today to be able to set it all up. So, she had called me frantically this morning to see if I could come and help her out...of course, I said yes!

In an attempt to make the day more fun and less stressful, we decided to wear aprons while getting all of the artwork ready for display. Skye came over to my house and I answered my door already sporting my patriotic apron...little did I know that Skye lurked behind the door with camera poised to take my picture...and so our adventure started. We started off the day with some left over cupcakes from the shower that I threw last night...we needed some extra energy and so cupcakes seemed a logical choice! :)

Skye tearing out of our neighborhood and rushing over to the school.

We went to the school to label and prepare the artwork for display at the forum. Then we started to pack it into "Big Blue" to transport to the forum. Skye had to get a Sub for her class so that she would be able to go and prepare for the art show tomorrow. Her sweet sub (who I know because she goes to my church) brought a box with a KFC chicken in it...little did we know what a blessing that chicken would turn out to be.

I had to get a guest pass to help out over at the school.


Skye giving her sub directions on what to teach that day.

Labeling Artwork

Starting to get a little frazzled

Skye and I took the KFC chicken and art work to the forum. Once we got there, we (surprise surprise) discovered that we needed some other supplies. So, we headed over to Michael's to get all of our art needs met! It was then that the realization that we had had little more than cupcakes to eat all day...so, we realized that we had KFC chicken with us and we decided to pick it apart and eat it...I think that it might have been some of the best chicken that I have ever eaten...then, after getting a good laugh at the way that we were tearing off pieces of chicken like ravenous wolves, we decided to call our dear friend Embo and sing to her about our day...I think that we might have been delirious at this point and that we might have smelled too much glue and paint...but I hope that our antics brought a smile to Embo's face!

...Skye, rushing dramatically to Big Blue to go to the forum...note the large smug of charcoal on her face...

Skye weighed down with Art.


Some of the remaining chicken after we had torn into it.

We finally got back to the forum and rushed to place all of the art work up on these massive cardboard triangles...only to realize that Skye had to be to meet her group of kids over at a local church at 3, and it was 2:55...so, we jumped into "Big Blue" and proceeded to get every red light red as we raced toward our destination...as we screeched to a grinding halt in front of the designated place, we ran inside to find out that the kids had finished all of the projects that had been assigned to them earlier than expected, and so, their other chaperon had already taken them back to the school...so, we took a deep breath and did what anyone else in our situation would do...we went and got some FOOD!!! Yay! We went to a little bakery and I got a sandwich and a smoothie, while Skye got a LOAF of 3 cheese bread (which she stated that she imagined must be what Manna tasted like) and a smoothie of her very own! We then headed back to the forum to finish the job that we had started earlier in the day...despite all of the stress, we ended up having a great time goofing off together (being VERY silly) while being productive...

Skye with her bread and smoothie

ok, I know that art is in the eye of the beholder...but really?!
The green and red one looks a little like Santa was rolled over by a giant ball! ...
I don't undertand...

No comments: