Christy and Hector decorated little Cohen's room in a super cute safari theme...and so, in keeping with their theme, our shower had a safari theme as well. I have been coming up with ideas for their shower for a month or more, and it was fun to see them all come together tonight in a finished product.
I started out with the invitation. I made one out of card stock for Christy to put into Cohen's baby book and then I scaned it into the computer and emailed out the invitations because we were running short on time. I found a really cute mokey face flannel fabric when I was looking for fabrics for things to make for them and it was my inspiration for the invitation.

I thought that they turned out pretty cute.
Then I started thinking about table decorations and food for the shower. I found some really cute cupcakes online...I cannot remember exactly where, but I showed the picture to a local bakery and asked them to recreate them for me. I was a little dissapointed with them. They made the lions and Zebras the way I wanted, but the monkey and elephant did not look like they were supposed to. Oh well, I guess that they were still pretty cute...although, I have to say that they were not nearly as good as Carrie's "gas station" bakery lady's cupcakes.
and the Monkey was supposed to look like the one on the invitations.
The only problem with them is because they were so thin they kept getting knocked over!
My friend Andrea just had a baby shower and they had a really cute little banner on the table that had his name on it. So, I liked the idea and stole it for our shower. I found a pattern at Michel's and traced it onto cute coordinating paper and then printed the outline of letters onto paper and cut around them to make the banner. I think that it turned out really cute...and much faster than making it from fabric....which I had also contemplated. The only problem was the "N" is hard to see.
On the drink table I placed some roses and a sign for Cohen.
The menu was a little stressful at first...because I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted to make (you know how I am about food), but I think that the end result was good. Here is what Pam and I came up with.
Our finished menu:
Chocolate covered strawberries
Oreo Truffles
Cake balls and cake pops (affectionately know as Monkey Pops)
M&Ms
Cupcakes
Sausage Wanton Stars
Teriyaki Chicken Wings
Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Pasta salad
Raspberry Tea
Cokes
water
I was inspired to make Monkey Pops (cake pops) by Bakerella. I just thought that they would go so well with the theme and hers are always SO cute. They didn't turn out exactly as I envisioned, but they still ended up being really cute, and for my first time doing anything like this I thought that they turned out as good as could be expected...and they were really moist and yummy. I made the little cake balls and put them onto sucker sticks. Then I dipped them in chocolate. I used M&M's for their ears and eventually decided to dip those in chocolate too. Then, I melted peanut butter melting chocolate and free handed the face and used chocolate to draw on the eyes, nose, and mouth. They were labor intensive, but I think that in the end they were worth it! At least our small group thought they were cute.
Pam and I knew we wanted to have spinach and artichoke dip there, because it is one of Christy's favorites, but beyond that we were not too sure. Pam decided to get some chicken salad for chicken salad sandwiches (yummy) and she made a wonderful pasta salad. I threw some ideas for food around in my mind for a while, but just couldn't decide on anything that I thought sounded good. I called my Mother-in-Law, Mama Sandy, to see if she had any ideas (she's really good at that kind of thing) She gave me a recipe for Teriyaki Chicken Wings that she had used at showers in the past, and then, I found a recipe for sausage wanton stars that looked good and would give some variation to the menu. I also saw strawberries on sale and decided to make chocolate covered strawberries. Pam brought all of the drinks including her yummy Raspberry Tea! It was definitely a joint effort...and a tasty success!
We had TONS of food left over!! Zack of course was excited about that. :)Of course before I could really even begin all of the shower menu and decoration preparations, I had to make the gift! :) I had a really good time making the gifts for baby Cohen...as is usually the case, I would have loved to have been able to make more things to give them. But here is what I came up with:
I ended up making a swaddling blanket, an embellished skull cap and 2 jon jons...
It is backed with a coordinating flannel and measures approximately 42X42.
Caren gave me dimensions from her favorite swaddling blankets.
I trimmed it with quilt binding.
Christy is so sweet. She got Pam and I really thoughtful hostess gifts for the shower. Thank you so much Christy, I love it! I cannot wait to try the scones or to find recipes to fill the little cookbook with, and of course I will quickly find a use for that cute little basket!!


4 comments:
Paula!!! You should be a professional shower/party planner! Everything looked so adorable. I am super impressed. Love the theme! Your banner is so super cute. I wish I would have put the ribbon through mine. That really made it a little nicer looking. And, the cupcakes were ADORABLE! I was just thinking that they were just as cute as the gas station lady's!
Carrie, thank you so much for your wonderful comments! You are so sweet! I had such a good time planning things for this shower. I thought that your banner was super cute...the template I used had holes marked, so I decided to run the ribbon through...I was happy with how it turned out, but yours was definitely my inspiration! I might need the "gas station" lady's bakery info in case I need cupcakes for another shower! :)
Paula, that is the funniest thang... that shower looked exactly like Andrea's & my showers, but just with different themes!! You did a great job! You are getting more and more talented, busting out with all these new things you make! Girl, you need to move to Nashville and open up your own store! Thank you. Love ya!
I agree, you are a pro! Well done!!!!!!
Post a Comment