Thursday, February 19, 2009

Dinner is served: Turkey Tostadas.


Tonight, I tried a new recipe. I was a little apprehensive about it because it called for hominy and I have never really eaten hominy before. It was a pleasant surprise. The meal had great flavor and you didn't really even notice the hominy. I thought that I would share the recipe with y'all. Hope that you enjoy it as much as Zack and I did.

Turkey Tostadas

1 pound ground turkey
1/2 C chopped onion
1/2 C chopped green pepper
1 tsp. vegetable oil
3/4 water
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 can (15 1/2 oz) can hominy, rinsed and drained
12 tostada shells
3 C shredded lettuce
1 C shredded Mexican cheese blend
1 C chopped tomato (I substituted salsa because Zack and I don't like raw tomato)
1 C cubed avocado

In a large skillet, cook the ground turkey, onion and green pepper in oil over medium heat until no longer pink, drain. Stir in water, taco seasoning, and hominy. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through.

On each tostada shell, layer lettuce, about 1/3 cup turkey mixture, cheese, tomato, and avocado. Serve immediately.

Yield: 6 servings

No comments: