Sunday, October 11, 2009

It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to!

Today was my birthday! Birthdays are usually a big deal to me....I look forward to them every year. Not that I look forward to being another year older, but I look forward to that one day a year that is officially mine...a day that makes me feel especially cherished and special. This year, I was on "mommy" call at work all weekend and had to work Saturday clinic. So, it really kinda put a damper on the whole birthday celebration thing...I think that I have returned about 42 calls this weekend....thank you H1N1 media frenzy!

We did manage to squeak a little celebration in in between calls about fevers and rashes and congestion and medication questions. Zack and I went to dinner Friday night for my birthday. We went to a little "hole in the wall" restaurant not far from where we live. The restaurant is only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and you usually have to have a reservation to get in. It has been featured in Southern Living and is a little hidden jewel. Zack and I had never been there before, but had heard about how good the food was, so he had called and gotten us reservations. Zack blind folded me and off we went. The restaurant looks like a shack and if you didn't know that it was there, you would never notice it. The food was REALLY good, but unfortunately it didn't like me as much as I liked it and it found it's way back out in a hurry...telling me "happy birthday" over and over as I got up and down out of bed all night....thanks...but no thanks!! I'm not sure if that was because of my nerves about being on call for the first time or if it was a little food poisoning.


So, between an upset stomach, "mommy calls" and my fear of missing a mommy call, I got VERY little sleep Friday night. Saturday, I had to go into work to work a Saturday clinic. So, when I got to work at 8 there were already patient's there waiting...Dr. D had hospital call all week and so she was coming into the clinic a little later and I was there to face the throngs of sick patient's on my own for a couple hours. I was trying to work as quickly as I could writing noted between patients..trying to keep up and get people in and out in a timely fashion...unfortunately some people are just a LITTLE bit impatient. There was a "walk in" who had to wait about 45 minutes to be seen....come on people, there is only one of me, I'm new, and I'm going as fast as I can here!!!....the parent was furious and went stomping out of the office huffing gruffly about their wait and how they would just have to find a new pediatrician...I was a little speechless...I mean how do you respond to that!?! ...I did feel a little vindicated when his spouse called him and made him come back and be seen....but how unpleasant!

Saturday night, Zack and I went to our friend's Caren and Forrest's house for dinner and games. We didn't end up playing games, but we spent time...in between the musical buzzing of my pager...catching up on all of the things going on in each others lives. Caren baked me a birthday cake and then they and their children sang me the most beautiful rendition of "Happy Birthday to you!" The cake was delicious and it was so fun to hang out with them...despite the seemingly constant interruptions.

I have been blessed, and I DEFINITELY cannot complain, because I was lucky enough to not get any middle of the night phone calls this weekend. Patient's were thoughtful enough to not call after about 1 and not before about 6. But today has been BUSY. By 1 o'clock, I had already fielded about 11 calls...several pulling me out of the church service...I had to call Dr. D about a patient around 2 and she asked me if Iwas doing anything special for my birthday today, to which I replied, I'm going to try to take a nap. She said ok, I will call the paging service and cover for a couple hours!!! I was SOOOO thankful! I got a good nap in and was talking to one of my family members who had called to wish me happy birthday when I got a text from Dr. D saying, "Happy Birthday, I'm going to take all calls tonight!" Those might have been the most beautiful words that I have ever read!! What a great birthday gift!! Thank you SOOOO much Dr. D! You are a BLESSING!! :)

No comments: