My Boss at work gave me a subscription to Southern living for Christmas and I have found several recipes within the pages of the magazine that I wanted to try out.
I was scheduled to make dessert for small group a few weeks ago and I saw some really awesome looking pound cake recipes. So, I decided to make a strawberry swirl pound cake. This was going to be my first attempt at homemade from scratch pound cake...and I will tell you that it smelled AMAZING cooking...problem, it burned a little on the bottom and sides...I was pretty bummed. The pound cake was still pretty good, but I was frustrated that the sides started to burn before the center was set. I have read on a few websites that aluminum pans are best for baking and that the dark coating on nonstick pans will often cause my dilemma to occur...so, maybe the key is different pans...we'll see...maybe I'll attempt a pound cake again sometime...for now though, I think I'll stick with what I know...cheesecake.
A few days later, I tried a recipe that I had found in a magazine that looked simple and I thought that Zack might like. Zack LOVES pizza and could probably eat it everyday if given the option. So, I found a recipe for a calzone, which honestly I think is more like a stromboli, but thats really not the point. Anyway, I made this little Italian inspired meal one day after work. It came together really easily and it had really good flavor. I was talking with my friend Beth about it the other day, and I thought that I would post the recipe for those of you that might like to try it.
Zesty Calzone
Simple and Delicious
Simple and Delicious
1 Tube (13.8 oz) refrigerated pizza crust
2Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
8 thin slices deli ham
8 thin slices hard salami
1/4 cup chopped onion (I used red onion)
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped tomato (I used 1/4 cup drained diced tomatos)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
In a greased 15 X 10 X 1 baking sheet, pat dough into a 13 X 8 inch rectangle. Sprinkle parmesan cheese to within 1/2 inch of edges.
On half of the dough, layer the ham, salami, onion, green pepper, and tomato to within 1 inch of the edges. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Fold dough over filling; pinch edges to seal. Cut slits in the top.
Bake at 425 for 20 - 22 minutes or golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes. cut into four pieces.
Yield 4 servings.
I took my left over can of diced tomatoes with juices and put them in my food processor. I took the puree and put it in a small pot and heated it through. I served this along side the calzone as a marinara dipping sauce. Zack and I both really liked this meal...although, It is a little bit filling.

Another meal that I tried recently was bourbon brown sugar pork tenderloin recipe that I found in Southern Living. I don't know about you, but I love getting samples or a meal of bourbon chicken when I go to the mall food court. So, this recipe looked really good. I went to the grocery store and collected my ingredients. I am a little ignorant when it comes to alcohol and so I though..."I'm sure that I ca get bourbon at my grocery store in the alcohol isle"....that would be a negative.
So, one day after Zack and I went biking, we headed over to the local package store. I walked into the store and was AMAZED at all of the rows upon rows of alcohol. I quickly realized that I was WAY out of my element. So, I went up to the guy behind the counter and said, "I know nothing about alcohol, could you please help me find some bourbon" He than said, "Jim or Jack" to which I blankly stared at him for a few minutes and said"bourbon...I'm sorry, I don't know anything about alcohol, I just need some bourbon for a recipe" He then pulled a bottle of Jack Daniels Whiskey off of the shelf and handed it to me. I purchased the bottle and then went out to the car. I was a little befuddled and wasn't sure that I had gotten bourbon at all. Zack and I looked it up on the internet and for some reason some companies call bourbon Whiskey sour mash...Anyway, once armed with my first liquor purchase, I proceeded to make my marinade to get the meat ready to be grilled.
After about 30 hours of marinading, We pulled the meat out of the marinade and Zack grilled it up. We paired the bourbon pork tenderloin with some smashed garlic dill red potatoes, a salad, and green beans. The marinade was supposed to be made into a gravy so, I put the reserved marinade into a small pan with some cornstarch and thickened it according to the recipe. It turned out to be pretty good. It wasn't the exact flavor of that yummy bourbon chicken, but it had great flavor none the less.

2Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
8 thin slices deli ham
8 thin slices hard salami
1/4 cup chopped onion (I used red onion)
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped tomato (I used 1/4 cup drained diced tomatos)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
In a greased 15 X 10 X 1 baking sheet, pat dough into a 13 X 8 inch rectangle. Sprinkle parmesan cheese to within 1/2 inch of edges.
On half of the dough, layer the ham, salami, onion, green pepper, and tomato to within 1 inch of the edges. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Fold dough over filling; pinch edges to seal. Cut slits in the top.
Bake at 425 for 20 - 22 minutes or golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes. cut into four pieces.
Yield 4 servings.
I took my left over can of diced tomatoes with juices and put them in my food processor. I took the puree and put it in a small pot and heated it through. I served this along side the calzone as a marinara dipping sauce. Zack and I both really liked this meal...although, It is a little bit filling.
Another meal that I tried recently was bourbon brown sugar pork tenderloin recipe that I found in Southern Living. I don't know about you, but I love getting samples or a meal of bourbon chicken when I go to the mall food court. So, this recipe looked really good. I went to the grocery store and collected my ingredients. I am a little ignorant when it comes to alcohol and so I though..."I'm sure that I ca get bourbon at my grocery store in the alcohol isle"....that would be a negative.
So, one day after Zack and I went biking, we headed over to the local package store. I walked into the store and was AMAZED at all of the rows upon rows of alcohol. I quickly realized that I was WAY out of my element. So, I went up to the guy behind the counter and said, "I know nothing about alcohol, could you please help me find some bourbon" He than said, "Jim or Jack" to which I blankly stared at him for a few minutes and said"bourbon...I'm sorry, I don't know anything about alcohol, I just need some bourbon for a recipe" He then pulled a bottle of Jack Daniels Whiskey off of the shelf and handed it to me. I purchased the bottle and then went out to the car. I was a little befuddled and wasn't sure that I had gotten bourbon at all. Zack and I looked it up on the internet and for some reason some companies call bourbon Whiskey sour mash...Anyway, once armed with my first liquor purchase, I proceeded to make my marinade to get the meat ready to be grilled.
After about 30 hours of marinading, We pulled the meat out of the marinade and Zack grilled it up. We paired the bourbon pork tenderloin with some smashed garlic dill red potatoes, a salad, and green beans. The marinade was supposed to be made into a gravy so, I put the reserved marinade into a small pan with some cornstarch and thickened it according to the recipe. It turned out to be pretty good. It wasn't the exact flavor of that yummy bourbon chicken, but it had great flavor none the less.
No comments:
Post a Comment