Saturday, February 12, 2011

a little comfort food at the puddle.


I'm not sure about the rest of you, but one of the things that I think of when thinking about comfort food is Chicken Pot Pie...There is just something so wonderful about a steaming savory pie that brings to mind days of snuggling under a blanket by a fire with either a good book or a good movie.

Zack has never eaten Chicken Pot Pie mainly because of a small round green veggie...He CANNOT stand peas, and he is not a big veggie eater anyway. so, I have never made chicken pot pie for that reason.

Dr. D got me a subscription to Southern Living for Christmas. There was a picture of a beautiful and delicious looking chicken pot pie on the cover of one of the recent issues. As I was looking through the recipe section, I saw the chicken pot pie recipe. The picture just looked so yummy that I decided to glance through the recipe to see how many offending veggies it might contain. As I perused the ingredient list, I was amazed that the only veggie in it that Zack wouldn't eat was carrots and he will occasionally eat these if they are in a soup or salad and are in small pieces.

So, I told Zack that we were going to have Chicken Pot Pie for dinner in the next few days and he was...well, he was less than enthusiastic!

Last Thursday, I had the opportunity to make our Chicken pot pie. Zack got home from working out and looked a little skeptical when I told him about dinner. He looked though the recipe himself, I guess just to verify that there were indeed no offending ingredients....I have been known to sneak one or two in under his radar...satisfied that there were no illegal veggies to be found, he went and did something else while we waited for the pie to finish cooking.



While my Chicken Pot Pie did not look as picture perfect as the one on the cover of Southern Living, it was really good. Zack even liked it and went back for seconds! It's a miracle...or maybe Zack is just becoming more adventurous in his old age!!

No comments: