Zack and I have been staying really busy...and I have been sick off and on a couple of times during the last month or so, a hazard of working with kids.
As I look back at the last month, I am a little daunted by all of the things that I have to fill you in on.
Back in November, Zack and his brother Matt participated in a "hat" tournament down in Atlanta. Basically what this means is that people could sign up for the tournament in groups of 2 or as a single. Each player ranked themselves and then the tournament coordinators put together teams that were supposed to have fairly similar skill levels. Zack was REALLY excited going into the tournament because he and Matt were teamed up with some guys from Roma, Zack's teammates. I missed most of the tournament, because I had to work in the morning and wasn't able to make it there until around 2. Zack's team ended up being a little less experienced than it had at first appeared. They had a lot of fun, but they didn't win a single game all day. I think that they had a lot of fun even though they didn't have a winning record.
Near the beginning of the month, our friends Caren and Forrest had their little boy. He is absolutely perfect! One of the many great things about our small group is that each family brings a meal to which ever of our friends that has had a baby. So, Zack and I were signed up to bring Caren, Forrest and family dinner the Thursday before Thanksgiving. I had been looking through recipes trying to decide what to make. I wanted something that would be different than what they had been getting, but that would still be kid friendly. I found a few recipes from the Pioneer woman in a cookbook that I had at home. I tried out one of the recipes for dinner for Zack and I the week before along with another new recipe for marinated pork medallions and spectacular pumpkin pie. Zack and I gave those recipes a thumbs up.
I was planning to make a braised beef brisket for the main dish. I had never looked for a beef brisket before, but here in BBQ country it shouldn't be hard to find right? WRONG!! I went to 4 different grocery stores before I found an 11 pound beef brisket. I really only needed a 7-9 pound brisket, but this was better than nothing. Once I found my meat, I had to marinate it for 24 hours. Thursday am, I started my cooking. I ended up making potato soup, braised beef brisket, twice baked potatoes, 4 cheese mac n cheese, salad, and apple pie. It was an interesting fete trying to do all of that in my 1 oven. My mac n cheese ended up getting a little over done I think. We took our meal to Forrest and Caren's house and had dinner with them. They said that they really liked everything...hopefully they did enjoy it and they were not just being polite.
Zack and I headed to my parents house for Thanksgiving this year. We ended up having my cousin and his wife and little girl over to celebrate Thanksgiving with us. We had a great meal that my mother prepared. I got distracted and forgot to take very many pictures. I did get a picture of my cousins incredible french silk pie though!!
I got my dad and brother hooked on the TV show Psych while I was home. Psych is one of my new favorite shows. I find it funny and well written with likable characters. We did play Quelf with my family, which, as always is a lot of fun. And, then, on Saturday, we headed out to my parents property to go hiking. We had a great time getting to spend time with family.
A few weekends ago, Zack and I attended a dear family friend's wedding. It was good to see Lisa so happy and healthy.
1 comment:
Where were you with those dinners when I had my kids??? That is a HUGE gift to share with a new mom! Glad you had a great Thanksgiving celebration. Do the two of you ever sit still??? :-) Miss you!
Post a Comment