You know, the moments in life where you wish that the Earth would open up and swallow you whole? Well, I had one of those at work on Friday. The day started out as any other day. I slept to the latest possible minute...after snoozing my alarm...a "couple of times"...because we all know that I am NOT what you would call a morning person. Then, I got up and got ready for another day at the office. The morning went by without incident and Dr. D and I headed to the cafeteria to grab some lunch just like we do pretty much every day. The cafeteria was having a special on soup and sandwiches and it just sounded too good to be passed up. So, I ordered my sandwich and doled out my soup. Dr. D and I headed back up to the office to have our daily "working" lunch (eating while trying to catch up on our notes from the morning). In order to get back into the office, we have to use a special badge to unlock the outside door...which usually is not an issue, albeit at times awkward while carrying food. However, this day was not a typical day. We both had our hands full carrying take out boxes, drinks, and a bowl of steaming hot soup. I tried to readjust my many packages in order to get my key card....I thought that things had been properly balanced when all of a sudden my soup cup slipped from my grasp. Everything turned to slow motion then....you know, like on TV, when you hear that slow "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" and see people moving in slow motion....the soup cup slipped from my hands and as I tried to warn Dr. D, it hit the floor next to her spilling soup and splashing warm orzo, vegetables, tomato sauce and ground beef everywhere. It was an amazing display. Soup was EVERYwhere....and when I say everywhere, I mean primarily all over Dr. D. It was also all over the floor and had splashed up on the walls on both sides of the entry way. At first I didn't see the extent of the damage and I thought, "Oh man, I cannot believe I did that." I asked Dr. D if she was ok and if any soup had gotten on her. I was still trying to pick things up off the floor. She replied cheerfully, "Oh, only a little". That is when it happened....THE MOMENT...I looked up at Dr. D to see her COVERED in soup....pieces of orzo and tomato sauce dripping from her sleeve and pants, but with smile on her face...I felt TERRIBLE (ugh!! kill me now!)...sure could have used that Earth swallowing right about then! Dr. D went to the bathroom to "clean" herself off while I went in search of something to clean up the rest of my mess in the hallway. Ugh! I felt like calling it a day and going home to crawl under the covers and pretend that the day had all been some crazy dream! There is nothing like covering your boss in hot tomato based soup...lets hope that never happens again!!
On the bright side, I guess that I gave Dr. D a story to tell her family...ugh!
No comments:
Post a Comment