Saturday, January 17, 2009

Goals for 2009

The first full week of January, I made Zack sit down with me and set some goals for the next year. It was supposed to be this really fun thing for us to do together as we looked toward the new year...apparently it stressed Zack out...thus totally stealing my joy! What in the world! :) lol We made it through however, and we made some really fun goals, with the intention of changing and adding to them as the year goes on...since some of them were...Zack- pray about setting some recreational/sport goals. Zack - pray about setting spiritual goals. Zack- pray about setting personal goals. He claimed that I had been thinking about this for weeks and that he was totally blind sided by it...that probably is true...but what an excuse! :) lol. It was still pretty fun. We made personal goals and goals as a couple in 7 areas: personal development, physical, social, career, financial, spiritual, and family. I had gotten this list of areas out of a book I read last year.

One of my goals this year is to try a new recipe at least once a week. So far I am doing pretty good. I am trying to keep a better log of what recipe I make and where I found it. That way maybe I will be able to find it again if I want to make it a second time.

Week 1:

  1. Chicken Parmesan - from the cooking network top 100 recipes of 2008. It was ok, but I probably won't make them again.
  2. Pull apart herb biscuits - They were quick and easy.
  3. Slow Cooker Beef Stew - easy and good.
Week 2:

  1. Apple Glazed Pork Chops - Zack really liked these. They had a lot of flavor.
  2. Two Cheese Mac-n-Cheese - good but very rich and makes a TON
  3. Mini Shepard Pie - Zack liked these. He said that these reminded him of his childhood.

Week 3:
  1. Chicken and Corn Chowder - I am making this one tonight...we'll see how it turns out!
  2. Raspberry Brownies - I have to make a snack for small group and I think I am going to try these!
I also am trying to read more this year. I am trying to read 2 books a month. One fiction and one non fiction. I tend to find it much easier to whiz through a fictional novel than to wade through the nonfiction, but I am trying to make myself do it this year. I got really into reading last year when everything started going crazy with my job...it was kinda an escape for me..and then with Paperbackswap.com making it so easy for me to get books, I have become a reading addict! :) lol.
It would be better if it was productive reading instead of Christian Fiction...but I guess that you have to start somewhere right? Anyone have any suggestions of good books to read?

January:

From a Distance - Tamera Alexander
Deep in the Heart of Trouble - Deeann Gist
Catching Katie - Robin Lee Hatcher
Speak to me of Love - Robin Lee Hatcher
Waking the Dead - John Eldredge (haven't finished this one yet. I'm on Chapter 4 of 12)

I have also been trying to be more consistent about running/working out, but have not been too successful with this yet. I want to try to work out for 30 minutes at least 5 days a week...we'll see if this is possible. I am looking forward to it getting a little warmer outside so that I have more options of things to do. I had finally gotten to where I was running 3 - 4 miles when I would go for a run and then it got cold...and I am a wimp when it comes to the cold...now I have been mostly going to the gym and doing the elliptical. I am hoping to find a road race to run so that I have a goal to shoot for...I always do better when I am "training" for something. Anyone want to train for something with me?

Another one of my goals was to learn how to do something new this year ...any suggestions? ...I am kinda drawing a blank on this one!

No comments: