Friday, May 14, 2010

hittin the gym

I did something that has been LONG over due. Today, I joined the gym. My employer offers a free gym membership, and up until today, I had not taken advantage of it. Before I went back to work, I was running or biking about 5 days a week. That all went out the window after about the first week of work. Life got hectic and the weather turned cold. I recently went from working 4 days a week to 3 and thus have a little more time to get things done outside of work. Yay!!

So, I filled out my health questionnaire and set up my appointment for my fitness assessment. Today was the fateful day. I have heard a couple of horror stories about sit ups and push ups from the girls at work. So, when I got there I was a little nervous. The trainer took me into a little side room equip with torture devices, such as a scale, a mat, and a bike. He started off by weighing me...not pretty, and measuring my height. Then he had to get my pulse, heart rate,...and, gasp, my percent body fat! Seriously, is it important for me to know that? ...really?!

After that humiliation, I had to do a flexibility test, as many crunches as I could in a minute, and as many push-ups as my feeble arms could manage. And, if that wasn't bad enough, then I had to ride on a bike with blood pressure cuff and pulse ox attached to my body for 9 minutes while the trainer gradually increased the resistance. I think that I am going to be sore tomorrow! Isn't that sad...that's all I did and I am going to be sore! At least I passed the fitness test. It confirmed what I already knew. I am out of shape!

The embarrassment was continued as they took a pitcure of my sweaty, red face to have on file....now that's attractive!

I am looking forward to getting back in shape...hopefully I can make myself be consistent. I think that it is going to be hard with my long hours at work and other demands on my time, but at least now the option is there.

1 comment:

E said...

I am proud of you!