The third weekend in February, I had signed up for a CME conference in Alabama. I went to PA school in Alabama and God blessed me with some amazing godly women to surround myself with while I was getting my degree. (He knew how much I needed y'all!) Two of these dear dear girls were signed up to go to this conference with me and we were all going to stay at Beth's house since she lives in the city where the conference was being held.
I was REALLY looking forward to seeing Beth and Ash because I just really RARELY get to see them. So, Zack and I were planning to drive to Alabama after work on Thursday.
Wednesday night I was awakened by the worst noise I have heard in our 5.5 years of marriage...the sound of Zack throwing up...poor poor Zack! I have NEVER seen him so sick. He was really quite pitiful! We debated for a while about whether he had caught the stomach bug that has recently been plaguing our fair city or if it was from the 5.5 year old wedding cake that he had eaten. (Zack and I found our wedding cake topper when we cleaned out the freezer the other day and he just HAD to try it). I was hoping that whatever had brought on the vomiting would QUICKLY go away so that we could take our trip as planned.
Poor Zack was miserable and was up all night throwing up. He came hobbling into our bedroom at about 5 to change into some clothes....I heard him shuffling about in the closet and asked him what he was doing...to which he replied, "I need some gaterade, I am going to CVS to get some"...to which I calmly...and rationally replied..."No, you are not...you can barely go 5 minutes without vomiting"...SO, needless to say, I was making a gatorade run at about 5 o'clock in the morning on Thursday morning.
I got up and went to work as usual albeit a little tired while Zack tried to get some sleep. He finally got something to help with the vomiting thanks to my sweet Dr who had pity on him when I told her how pitiful he had been. That at least help slow down his episodes of vomiting.
After work, I went home to see how my man was faring and to try to figure out what to do about the conference. Poor Zack was still feeling pretty lousy and I was torn as to whether I should leave him. Zack's dad ended up coming up to stay the night with him and I headed out for Alabama on my own. (Have I mentioned that I love my in laws?! We are so thankful for all that they do!)
I made it to Beth's house pretty late and I got there just before Ashley pulled up. I have seen Beth a couple (although not often enough) times over the last few years, but probably had not seen Ash for about 4 years. It was SOOOO good to see those girls!! I do wish that the other girls could have been there too, but I will take what I can get!
We had a good time Thursday night talking and as Danny calls it reveling in our high school reunion moment. We headed to bed and planned to get up in the morning to go to the conference.
K had just learned how to pull down the zipper on her jammies...SO cute!
The conference was pretty good...these things are always better when attended with friends and we all were having a good time...that is until after lunch....
The only thing worse than being sick is being sick at someone elses house. After I had lunch at the conference on Friday, I started to feel nauseated...I kept trying to will the feeling away...sitting perfectly still in the lectures...sipping on coke, but the feeling wouldn't leave. I mentioned to Beth that I wasn't feeling great and I was really unsure about whether I should drive home or stay.
We went back to Beth's house after our meeting was over and picked up Danny and K and headed out to dinner. We went out for some pizza ...I opted for a salad.
By the time we got back from dinner, I was feeling AWFUL...and apologizing to Beth for getting sick at her house and possibly exposing her sweet daughter to this terrible bug! Beth was SO gracious and told me not to worry about it and lovingly offered me some anti-nauseal medication that I willingly took. I then laid down on my bed and shivered drifting in and out of consciousness while Beth, Danny, and Ashley talked around me. I was really disappointed that I was not feeling better and that I could not spend time with them...but I felt terrible.
Before they went to bed, Beth brought me a 2nd pill for nausea and a throw up bucket to be placed by my bed....I really have some amazing friends! I'm not sure how much later it was, but I woke up in the middle of the night to rush to the bathroom to throw up.
Not thinking about how long ago it might have been, I took a 3rd pill for nausea and went back to sleep hoping that I hadn't woken anyone else up and that I would feel better in the morning.
Thankfully a little rest and a shower proved to make me feel quite a bit better...So, I headed off to day 2 of the conference with Beth and Ashley. I really could not tell you what any of the talks were about because I literally slept through all of them. I would wake up long enough to see Beth smiling at me and then I would (sitting straight up in my chair with my face slightly covered by my hair) fall back to sleep...the worst part was we were all sitting on the front row.
I did wake up long enough to have my picture taken with Ash and Beth and to catch up on the latest scoop from Rich who was the program director of our PA program while we were in school. He was walking past us and said, "man this really freaks me out!" Beth, Ashley, Julia and I used to sit on the second row throughout PA school and Rich was having flashbacks...(obviously to his favorite PA class ever!!).
almost just like old times...
we just needed Julia to make this photo complete!
We went to Beth's parent's house for dinner Saturday night and I was able to eat dinner. I was feeling a lot better, but was still REALLY drowsy from all the medication that I had taken the night before. I feel asleep on Beth's parent's couch shortly after dinner and slept until we left. I was feeling much more awake when we got back to Beth and Danny's house and I was able to spend some time laughing and talking with Beth and Ash...
Sunday we went to our last few hours of conference...and honestly, I think that they were probably the 4 most interesting lectures of the weekend...or maybe they were just the only four I was awake for! :)
After our conference let out, we went to meet Danny and K for lunch. We went out and had BBQ at the Half Moon. It was really good BBQ!
and Ash had pulled pork with fried green tomato
After lunch, we headed back to Beth and Danny's for a little while until Ash and I had to pack up and go.
It was such a blessing (despite being sick) to see these girls! They are amazing, fun, godly women and I always love spending time with them! I hope that I get to see them again soon! Miss you girls!!
No comments:
Post a Comment