Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Lord, what do you will for my life?

Yesterday, I finished the book "48 days to the work you love" by Don Miller...and...surprise, I still am not feeling a direct calling on my life...not that I thought that this book would have all of the answers, but I was hoping that it would give me some direction...or idea of a direction in which to head. No such luck...maybe it just hasn't been a complete 48 days. :)

In the book, he states that everyone has a specific calling for their lives, an individual purpose or way that they are meant to glorify God. He says that there are many jobs/careers that can fulfill our calling or vocation, but that there is only one vocation that will make us happy. And, we are to use our talents, gifts and passions to fulfill this vocation. So, I guess that now I just need to figure out what God's planned vocation is for my life and find out how my talents and passions line up with it...do any of you know?! :) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

The only thing that I have stumbled upon so far in my job search that is of interest to me is a position in a women's breast center. Because breast cancer has so greatly affected my life over the past year and because I am a woman and thus at risk of breast cancer, I have a special place in my heart for other women (and men) that might develop the disease. My first personal experience with breast cancer came about a year ago when my mother called me one Monday morning to let me know that she had had a biopsy done on her breast and that the Dr. had called her back with the pathology report telling her that it was in fact cancer...although thankfully it was caught in the earliest stages. I cannot express to you all of the emotions that were going through me at the time...I was somewhat in shock, had extreme fear for my mothers health, and some selfish concerns for what this meant for me in the future...all of these thoughts (and many more) were rushing at me all at once...the reason that I remember that it was a Monday is because we were headed to small group when she called. There is nothing like having a bomb like that dropped on you right before you have to go and interact with other people. Thankfully, because it was our small group, while it was a group of people to interact with in the midst of personal struggle and confusion battling, it was the best possible group of people to be headed to. Our small group is such a blessing, and that night they were no different, they offered their sorrow at the news, and their prayers and encouragement...which I have to tell you meant so much! My mother underwent surgery and a round of radiation treatments...all the while trying to put up a tough exterior...to act as though everything was ok, when in fact, it wasn't. It was not until several months later that she allowed herself to consider all of what her diagnosis with breast cancer meant. Shortly after my mom got good reports from her doctors that all of the cancer was gone (I believe that a lot of this had to do with all of the prayers that were being said for my mom), We found out that Dr. Spivey had breast cancer. While more uncommon in men, it is not unheard of. Unfortunately, Dr. Spivey was not as lucky in either the type of cancer or the timeliness of its discovery as my mom had been. He had an aggressive form of cancer (Breast Adenoma TNIII) while my mother's was less aggressive and discovered in much earlier stages (Ductal carcinoma insitu). It was not any easier to hear that my employer was facing a battle with breast cancer than it had been to hear that my mother was...I think that it is always just as shocking to hear the words "I have cancer"...no matter how many times or from whom you hear them. The fear that those 3 little words conjure up is unparalleled. While my mother's battle with her cancer happened primarily miles away, I was forced to watch this man that I respected and admired go through a struggle even harder than the one that my mother had faced only months earlier. Dr. Spivey had a radical mastectomy and node dissection, followed by a mediport placement. He then started his chemo, which I have mentioned before really took him for a loop. I watched a 78 year old man that acted more like a 50-60 year old age in a manner of days right before my eyes. A man that I saw as so full of life became tired. A man that was healthy and strong became weak and had difficultly walking even by himself without the support of the wall or someone else. The main thing that I didn't see change was his fight and drive. Despite how badly he felt, he would drag himself into the office unless he was absolutely unable to make it. Usually this meant that he would come in for a few hours in the evenings. He also was mentally there until the end. There were definitely days that we might question something that he asked, but usually he was still completely cognizant of all that went on. Despite his determination to beat breast cancer and continue his medical practice, it was a battle that he was not meant to win...God had decided that it was his time to go home...he had helped enough people...it was time to go, and on June 9th 2008, he passed away. After experiencing breast cancer first hand in these two instances, it definitely has made me even more aware of the importance of early detection and screening for the disease. I would not desire for anyone to have to go through the trials and struggles that I witnessed first my mother experience and then Dr. Spivey. So, I say all of that to explain...I do have a heart for women's health and that is why the job at the women's breast center initially caught my eye. However, although I have started the application process, I have not finished it....I just desire God's clear direction and a peace with the idea that this is where he has planned for me to go next...it is something that I am praying through...it may be that this is my next step...or perhaps my path lies somewhere else...just wish that I could get the hand writing on the wall! And, while I found my book "48 days to the work you love", insightful and interesting...it gave me no clearer picture of what is ahead for me. So, I would really appreciate any prayers that you would be able to offer on my behalf. That God would give me clear direction and that I would find joy and patience in this time of rest.
There are two verses that I have found in my quiet time that I have been kinda holding to. The first is Psalms 32:8 "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you." The second one is Romans 12:12 "Be glad for all God is planning for you. Be patient in trouble, and always be prayerful."

3 comments:

April Kay said...

Thank you for sharing what's on your heart Paula!! Aww, I love your mom!!! I know that God has something wonderful in store for you very soon!! You are such a wonderful person and have so many God-given talents. I love yoU!

E said...

Paula,
I think you'd do awesome at a women's breast clinic! I think God has placed an interest in your heart. I am praying for you.

E said...

Okay, after looking at your blog, you need to start your own kid's clothes line. This is amazing stuff.