Thursday, July 21, 2011

Today I did something crazy...

I don't know how I let my friend Caroline talk me into this....maybe it was the false sense of ability that I have developed from going to a couple of zumba classes...maybe it was the lack of sleep, but somehow I found myself sitting in the parking lot waiting for Caroline to arrive so that we could go to a HIP HOP Class....yes, you did read that right...I said HIP HOP.

Those of you that know me are probably already rolling on the floor after getting a mental picture of me in all of my dancing, hip hop glory. To say I was bad would really be an unfair assessment....I was in fact AWFUL. I really am a rhythmically challenged ungraceful dancer. At one point I was marching, hip hoppin it, forward while everyone else was moving toward the back....you know it's bad when the instructor is laughing at you and she starts verbally telling the class which direction to go.

So, I have to ask myself what it is that possessed me to get a one month membership...wishful thinking, temporary insanity?!? whatever it was, my fate has been sealed.

Today, I went back for the first time since my Hip Hop debut. I called Caroline up as I left work and informed her that since it was raining and she couldn't play her previously planned tennis match that she needed to come to a class with me. The class that they had tonight was Dancekick...more like Dancefaint....because that's what I thought was going to happen...that I was going to dance and kick myself into unconsciousness. The class was SO hard. Dancekick was a little more my style than hip hop, but I am SO out of shape that I wasn't sure if I would make it though the hour. Caroline and I had gone to the gym yesterday and run/walked and lifted weights with our legs....yeah...not smart....not smart at all. We were jumping, kicking, squatting, lunging...dying. At one point, Caroline and I dragged ourselves to the side to get some water and she looked at her watch "30 more minutes" She said to me with disbelief. How was it possible that we could feel THAT bad after just 30 minutes of class?!?! After I peeled my jaw off the floor, I dug deep and somehow found the energy to finish the class.

I just have to keep telling myself that it will get easier if I keep doing it. Maybe I will try the Pilates class next time...although to be honest it also looked pretty intense from the little bit that we watched before our class started.

Here's to a month of me having more reason than usual to laugh at myself.

No comments: