Last weekend, Zack and I attended a Conference that was being held in our little town. The speaker was Voddie Baucham. We had heard of him and had watched part of a video of him once when we attended Zack's parent's Sunday School Class. So, we had a little knowledge of him, but were not too familiar with him. The conference had been advertised in our church bulletin and several of our friends were planning to attend.
Zack and I had talked about it some, but Zack had been sick all week and had been coming home from work to crash only to repeat the process the next day. So, I had forgotten about it. Friday, our friend Anna Lauren sent out a text about tickets. So, I txt'd Zack at work to see if he wanted to go.
Anna Lauren ended up having an extra ticket and we bought the other one at the door.
Zack got home a few minutes before we needed to leave and I had been in the process of making some dinner...which didn't get done in time. So, I pulled the pan off of the burner and turned my stove off. It was an all vegetable dinner. So, other than the veggies getting a little mushy, I wasn't afraid of anything spoiling.
We ran out the door and met up with some of our friends to spend the next 3 hours in praise and worship and Biblical study.
Zack and I have been studying the Christian world view now for a couple of months....We recently completed a series called "The Truth Project" with our small group that was put out by focus on the family. It was REALLY good. I would recommend it to anyone that wants to learn more about the Christian world view.
Here's a little promo video about it:
So, having just completed this series, Voddie's conference and topic seemed interesting. The first session was about Cultural Apologetics and Biblical World View. Apologetics is basically knowing what you believe, why you believe it, and being able to share it. It is based off of a scripture out of I Peter 3, (paraphrased) Always be ready to give a reasoned response for the Hope that is within you.
The second session of the first day was about the Culture war and how it affects the family. Voddie had some interesting things to say about this. He is a very good speaker and very opinionated. sometimes the things that he said were a little hard to swallow, but thought provoking....He is a HUGE proponent of godly marriage and the family unit... He was stating that many view the breakdown of the family as a triumph for our culture. that is a little scary to think about. I doubt the child of the broken home would view it the same way if asked. The family unit is such a vital part of a culture!
Saturday, we woke up early and headed back for more. Voddie's first lecture of the day was about the homosexual movement and it's effect on our culture. He again had a lot of strong opinions about this topic and I am sure that more than 1 person left feeling a little offended. His thoughts on the topic were definitely interesting and challenging to hear.
The second topic of the day was Biblical World View and was basically a lesson on how to defend your faith from the most basic argument that people will throw at you, "Why do you believe the Bible?" Voddie used multiple scriptures and facts to back up his points and it was very informative.
I definitely left the weekend with a lot to think about. I enjoyed the weekend even if some of the topics discussed were very controversial and the opinions shared were sometimes challenging. It was definitely food for thought!
If you've never heard of Voddie and would like to hear him speak, there are a couple of his sermons that you can listen to here.
No comments:
Post a Comment