Friday, August 26, 2011

LO11, 3rd annual event

This year, the last weekend in July, we held our Third Annual Lawn Olympics.

I was working A LOT prior to Lawn Olympics and didn't have as much time as I would have liked to dream up a good team name/t shirt, but we made due.

We all headed up to the Georgia Mountains Friday evening after work. Karmen and Jay followed Zack and I up to the Mountains. When we got there, Chico and Paul, Jody, and the boys were already there waiting for us.

We hopped out of our cars and got dinner started. Embo and Patrick met us about the time we were ready to eat dinner. We were waiting to hear from Skye about when she would be there, but she called to tell us that she was exhausted and probably wasn't going to come. We begged her to just come up the next day for the actual games.

We had to light the grill without our ceremonial Opening ceremonies with the gnome igniting the eternal flame of the grill, but I guess dinner still tasted as good. We had hamburgers, fruit salad, corn on the cob, and baked beans for dinner. Jody had also brought her amazing dirt cake...yum.


Shortly after dinner, we had the T-shirt unveiling. This year we had 100% participation.

Paul and Jody were team deer fly
Paul made these sashes.
Jarrod and J-pro were team horse fly

Karmen and Jay were team Love tortoise

Chico and Skye were team arachnophobia
Skye was a black widow and Chico a brown recluse

Patrick and Emily were team Fire Pits
Zack and I were team weedeater
There was a lot of laughter and funny stories told that night and after many laughs, we all got ready to go to bed.

Saturday morning, all of the guys and Karmen went for a run. Embo and I went to the store to get some supplements for breakfast. Chico and Skye had been in charge of breakfast and Chico had made a breakfast french toast/ casserole. He had made it using 1/2 sausage and 1/2 blueberries...so it was like a 2 for 1 special. You could have sweet or savory. It smelled really nice cooking...I think that the rosemary foccatia that he used had a lot to do with that. We also supplemented blueberry pancakes, bacon, donuts, and OJ. The meal turned out being enough for everyone.

Zack really liked "Chico surprise". I found it to be a lot of flavor packed into each bite and I couldn't decide if it was genius or the most interesting breakfast that I had ever eaten.

Shortly after breakfast, we headed out to get the games set up and start our day. Thankfully, Skye made it up just before the games began.




Skye was loosing her appendages as she played.

It was really hot that Saturday. so, we took several water breaks, and after only a couple rotations, we decided to take a break for lunch.

Embo and Patrick had brought some really yummy sandwich fixin's which we all really enjoyed. After lunch it was back a few more games. then, we pulled out the slip and slid, which ended up being a lot of fun.







The slip and slide was a hit due to the hot weather.






I even tried it out.
It was a really painful experience...

I had to lay there for a minute and Zack pulled me to the end.


But once I was wet and thus slippery, it was a lot more fun!
I even beat Zack in a race!

Once Jpro had had enough slipping and sliding, we did a quick group photo and medal ceremony. Then, Jay, Karmen and little M left. Paul, Jody, Jarrod, and J-Prol headed home shortly after.


Jay and Karmen pulled out Gold
Zack and I were Silver
Patrick and Embo were Bronze

Skye, Embo, Patrick, and Chico stayed for dinner. We had BBQ grilled chicken, Grilled vegetables, and salad.

After dinner, we played a game of things before Skye had to leave to head home.

I would say that we had another successful Lawn Olympics, and I think that everyone involved had a good time.

No comments: