Yesterday while at work, I reached up to scratch my ear only to realize that my earring had fallen out. I felt a shiver of dread run through my body as that realization hit me. The earrings that I wear on a daily basis are a simple understated pair of small silver hoops. They are not something that most people would place much value on, but they are OH SO valuable to me.
My roommate in college, Amanda, gave me those earrings our Sophomore year of college for my birthday. I have worn then pretty much daily ever since then. They are special to me because every time that I accidentally touch them or see them in the mirror, I am reminded of her...and reminded of a lot of memories of meaningful friendship that I still hold dear...more so now even as I realize more fully it's worth.
Amanda and I do not stay in touch much now as our lives are both busy and we do not live close to each other, but that does not mean that that friendship is not as dear. So, when I thought that I had lost my earring, my heart sank. I had my MA, Nurses and even Dr. D helping me try to recreate my movements and trying to think of where it might have fallen off. One of my sweet nurses even called over to the hospital to see if I might have lost it over there.
The loss was unsettling and I was trying to remain hopeful that I might have lost it at home and that I might still have the opportunity to find my treasured item.
When I walked through my door yesterday after work, I rushed to my bedroom, tore at the sheets and got on hands and knees on the bathroom floor.....
There at the base of the sink, I found it....something of greatest worth...my memories...my earring. I cannot put into words my joy of finding what I thought had been lost forever...It gave me a small glimpse of what it must feel like to God when we turn to Him and cry out His name...and another of His precious sheep has come home! ...and along with that it just makes me think a little bit about how we assign value to people. We assign value to others by the world's standards...I need to remember that when I glance at that person I am walking by and unconsciously judge as being of low value based on their outward appearance or chosen lifestyle ....could it be that they might have a value to God like my simple silver earring has to me...one that cannot be measured by the standards of this world?!
2 comments:
Thanks for this reminder! Great post, Paula!
Loved this, Paula. How true this is! The value of a friendship is immeasurable, but God's love for us and those around us is most certainly priceless!
Post a Comment