Friday, April 1, 2011

John in town

A few weeks ago, one of Zack's coworkers came and stayed with us for a few days. It was good to get a chance to catch up with John since we do not have the opportunity to see him often, as he lives in NC. Having a guest staying with us usually gives me the opportunity to try out any number of new recipes, and John gave me the opportunity to do just that.

The first night that John was at our house he and Zack had eaten before coming home. They had been in ATL for some meetings and so just ate on their way back. The second night tht John was here, I came home from work to find a group of Zack's coworkers in our home with the intention of a game night. So, we decided to order pizza...since we really had NOTHING to eat in the house...it had been a couple weeks since I had been able to go grocery shopping.

Finally, on Thursday, I was able to run to the grocery store and make something for our guest. Thursday night I made pork tenderloin with pineapple salsa. I was a little leery of this since I had never really made a fruit salsa before, but I had seen the recipe a few weeks earlier and thought that I would try it out since Zack LOVES pineapple. The salsa actually turned out to be pretty good and it complimented the pork well. I served the Pork with a salad, fruit salad, green beans, and Italian roasted potatoes.

Friday morning John was planning to start his trip back home. So, I decided to make a hearty breakfast for he and Zack. I had been flipping through some magazines and I had found a couple of breakfast recipes that looked really good. So, I thought that I would give a few of them a try. I made an Italian Breakfast Torte and citrus sunrise pancakes. The pancakes had and orange/citrus flavor and they were very light and fluffy. They were served with a homemade strawberry orange syrup. We also had some left over fruit salad and some bacon. I thought that the pancakes and the torte turned out well. The torte had really good savory flavor.

No comments: