Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Chatty

Last weekend Zack and I spent a night in Chattanooga. Life has been so busy and hectic recently with Zack and I both going a hundred miles an hour trying to keep up with the demands of our respective jobs. So, we decided to take some time to reconnect. We were hoping to make a weekend of it, but I had to work a 1/2 day on Saturday. So, after I got home from work, we piled into our car and headed on a little road trip.

We got up to Chattanooga about 3 and checked into our hotel. Once settled into the hotel, we headed out to walk around and see what there was to downtown Chattanooga. Even though Zack go to Chattanooga every once in a while, it is usually with a specific purpose in mind and we really have never taken to time to just enjoy the city.



Chattanooga is actually a really neat little city and it has nice parks and walking paths around the downtown area. Zack and I walked around downtown and then took the walking bridge (an old railroad bridge converted to walking bridge) over to the North side of town. For those of you who have never been to Chattanooga, it is a quaint little town located on the banks of the Tennessee river. The city itself is pretty clean, and there is a free shuttle service that will take you pretty much anywhere that you would like to go around the downtown area.








After walking around a little, Zack and I decided to look for a place to eat dinner. We ended up deciding on a little Mexican restaurant not far from our hotel. We were pretty hungry and the food was pretty good. After dinner we headed back to our hotel to have a family meeting....basically to spend some time talking and just trying to get on the same page. After about an hour, Zack decided that we needed to go get some Ben and Jerry's Ice cream...he had been craving ice cream since we had walked past the ice cream shop earlier that afternoon. So, we headed about a block from our hotel to the Ben and Jerry's on the corner. I was stuffed from dinner. So we ended up sharing some ice cream.







We headed back to our hotel with our cold, creamy treasure and scoped out the hotels pool...whic was PACKED with kids. We decided that we would wait a little while and then head down to the pool. So, about and hour later we went back to go swimming. We were in luck, because as we walked in the door to the pool, the last of the families were walking out...we had the whole pool and hot tube to ourselves....at least for a short time...a few minutes after we got there 2 couples came in..I'm not sure if they were intoxicated yet, but they were on their way, each with alcoholic beverage of choice in hand...and they apparently had no qualms about PDA. So, feeling a little like uninvited guests, Zack and I decided to head up to our room for the night.

Sunday morning, Zack and I headed down to the shuttle stop to catch a shuttle across town to a restaurant that Zack had founf online, the City Cafe. The reviews that Zack had read were glowing. We got to the restaurant, which was linked to a Days Inn. Zack and I have learned not to judge every restaurant by it's outward appearance.

The restaurant did not disappoint. The portions were huge and the prices were low. I think that my meal cost about 3.99 and I got and egg and cheese sandwich with home fries. It was delicious and I had a hard time finishing all of it. Zack got a omelet and homefries and his meal was about 5 dollars.



We left the City Cafe satisfied and headed to one of the parks located on the banks of the Tennessee River. We sat under a bridge to stay in the shade and had the bulk of our family meeting. We talked about goals for our family, expectations, and hope for the future. We didn't always completely agree on everything, but we at least were able to discuss our thoughts and feelings on different topics which is always helpful.





The day before while walking around, we stumbled across a little ice cream parlor. I should say our noses led us to it as we walked toward the delicious smell of freshly baking waffle cones. The line was really long and we had not yet had dinner. So, we agreed that we would go back the next day. So, after sitting in the park for a while talking, Zack and I headed to Clumpies for some ice cream...I was not disappointed. It was delicious, and it was worth waiting in line for.


After we finished our ice cream, we headed back toward the main section of town because we wanted to watch a movie. We decided to catch a matinee. We were wavering between a few movies, but decided to go watch the Adjustment Bureau. It turned out to be very different than I anticipated....and I'm not sure if I liked it or not.



After the movie, Zack and I decided to grab some dinner before heading home (trying to prolong our mini vacation). One of Zack's coworkers talks about the restaurant Qdoba alot. So, Zack wanted to try it out...it reminded me of a glorified Moes. The food was good, but no better than a Moes in my opinion.




After dinner, we walked back to where our car was parked and headed back to the reality of our crazy and busy lives. However, it had been a great weekend and Zack and I were in a much better place to face the world together viewing things from the same perspective. It was nice to have a little time just to enjoy one another's company and to touch base with where we each are in terms of our hopes, dreams, and expectations.

No comments: